Venice, FL – SPRING 2022 – This year’s Spring benefit concert, in support of the South County Food Pantry (SCFP), took place Friday evening April 29th, at Venice’s downtown Centennial Park gazebo. It turned out to be a wonderful outdoor event attended by many supporters of SCFP and the Venice Community Orchestra.
That support, in the form of financial donations, was overwhelming. A check for $853 was presented to Linda Fraser, SCFP Donations Coordinator, on Wednesday, May 4th. Linda expressed SCFP’s appreciation…”SCFP regularly receives food donations and the orchestra’s monetary donation allows SCFP to purchase specific nutritionally beneficial foods that they don’t normally receive.”
As we head into the Summer ‘break’, we look back on the opportunity to play music together, for the benefit of our community, with great appreciation and full hearts.
Look for updates regarding our Fall plans, during the Summer months.
Venice, FL – Monday, January 24, 2022 – What a Wonderful Holiday performance season! VCO played at the St. Mark’s Episcopal Community dinner, both Sr. Friendship Centers in Sarasota & Venice, and finished by entertaining Venice residents and visiting families as they enjoyed the festively lite memorial trees & bushes at West Blaylock Park on Venice island.
Spring rehearsal began Saturday, 1/15 and will continue every Saturday in preparation for VCO’s Spring Benefit Concert scheduled for Friday evening, April 29th at Centennial Park Gazebo, downtown Venice.
Our Spring repertoire includes pieces by; Bezit, Mendelssohn, Stravinsky, John Williams, AND The Beatles & Rolling Stones!
Venice, FL – Monday, July 26, 2021 – The VCO is pleased to provide our latest Fall 2021 updates;
– Begin Saturday, Aug 21st, SCF Venice Campus, 9:30-11:30am. Bldg 800 (large bldg at South end of large parking lot).
– All string players (violin, viola, cello & bass) are welcome to join us!
FALL MUSICAL SELECTIONS:
Our director/conductor, Dave O’Fallon, has chosen some pieces composed by historically significant ‘string’ composers;
- Bach Brandenburg #3
- Mozart Allegro from Serenade No. 1
- Mendelssohn Fingal’s Cave
- Bizet’s Farandole
- Two Piazzolla pieces; Oblivion & Libertango (in observance of his centennial this year)
- Vivaldi’s “Winter”
- Highlights from the Messiah
- Away in a Manger (Wonderful holiday arrangement)
- O Come O Come Emmanuel (another Wonderful holiday arrangement)
- Season of Carols (several traditional selections for our holiday performances!)
PERFORMANCES (SO FAR):
- Salvation Army Thanksgiving Luncheon – Barring any unforeseen COVID related circumstances, VCO will be continuing our longstanding performance tradition.
- St. Mark’s Community Holiday Dinner – The VCO will be continuing another tradition, playing for their December Holiday themed dinner.
- Good Shepherd Episcopal Winter/Spring Concert Series – Once again, VCO is planning on performing for their Spring concert series (probably late Feb or Mar).
- Large Holiday Concert – TBD. We’re speaking to 1-2 organizations and welcome your help in finding the right opportunity.
- Spring Concert – Again, TBD. Pretty early and already starting to plan!!!
Venice, FL – Monday, April 26, 2021 – Beginning this September, we will be re-affiliating VCO with State College of Florida (SCF), under a new conductor/director, and returning to Saturday morning ‘classes’ (rehearsals) at SCF’s Venice Campus.
Dave O’Fallon, professional music educator/musician, arranger, and former VCO member (viola), will be our conductor/director.
Please stay tuned for updates throughout the Summer. Until then, stay Safe & Healthy!