At almost every opportunity I have to describe the orchestra, I am asked the question: What’s the typical experience of musicians joining the VCO? Or, what level of music difficulty do you play; which eventually leads to visiting the membership make-up. My typical answer was something like: Our musician’s experience vary from beginner to professional level player.
Essentially, our members have one of the following profiles:
- The beginner who can learn by sitting next to better players who pulls them along to a higher level of playing;
- The invertebrate amateur who simply likes to play;
- The more mature player who once played well and desire to maintain their skills;
- The younger musician who aspires to become a pro musician, and;
- The pro who simply likes to play while helping others in reaching higher levels of playing.
I think that’s a much better description of our membership than the one I used to give.